Even the most intimate areas of your body can change with the natural aging process or after childbirth. If you are embarrassed by your appearance or experience discomfort, you may be a candidate for labiaplasty. As one of the few expertly trained women plastic surgeons in Virginia, Dr. Erica Anderson understands the sensitive nature of your concerns that can have an impact on a woman’s confidence and self-esteem.
To learn more about labiaplasty at McLean Plastic Surgery, please call 703-893-1111 today to schedule a consultation. We welcome women from McLean, Tysons Corner and nearby Fairfax County, Northern Virginia, Maryland and Washington D.C.
Benefits of Labiaplasty
Labiaplasty can provide a more natural and balanced appearance while addressing any associated discomfort helping women feel more at ease with their bodies. Beyond physical relief, labiaplasty can also boost self-esteem and body image, leading to improved confidence.
Benefits of a labiaplasty include:
- Reduce discomfort during physical exercise or wearing tight clothing
- Enhance symmetry, balanced appearance, promoting aesthetic satisfaction, bolstering self confidence
- A more positive body image, improved self-esteem, emotional well-being
Is Labiaplasty Surgery Right for Me?
Labiaplasty is designed to address discomfort and the physical appearance of your labia. Most patients seeking labiaplasty feel that there is too much labia minora (inner lips) dangling beyond the labia majora (outer lips). Others feel bulky in pants or a bathing suit to the point of not wanting to wear any revealing clothing. Another group of patients seeking labiaplasty surgery are active athletes who have irritation and pain from rubbing with biking or running.
You may be a good labiaplasty candidate if you:
- Have labia that are large or misshapen or you do not like the appearance
- Experience pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse or vigorous activity
- Experience discomfort or irritation under jeans or tight fitting clothing
- Have a noticeable bump of enlarged labia that can be seen in swimwear or tight pants
- Have difficulty with hygiene
- Are in good general health
- Do not smoke
- Have realistic expectations for what labiaplasty can achieve
If you are considering a labiaplasty, the best way to know if you are a good candidate for the procedure is to meet with Dr. Anderson at McLean Plastic Surgery. During your consultation, your goals will be discussed, your options will be explained and your candidacy will be determined.
Your Labiaplasty Procedure
Labiaplasty is a cosmetic surgical procedure that is performed on the labia majora (the outer lips of the vagina) and/or the labia minora (the inner lips of the vagina) to improve the aesthetic appearance of the labia and relieve associated discomfort. Some women are born with large or elongated labia, or the trauma of childbirth can cause the labia to become lax or misshapen. In either situation, large labia can be a source of physical pain, pinching under tight clothing and pulling during intercourse. This procedure can reduce the size of labia that are too large, and to reshape labia that are uneven, improving the appearance, reducing associated discomfort and helping women feel more confident.
The two common incision techniques for labiaplasty include:
- Wedge: V-shaped “wedge” incisions are made on both sides of the labia, reducing the most enlarged part of the labia. Advantages of the wedge technique are preservation of the outer edge contour, less noticeable scarring, and less sensitivity at the incision line.
- Edge: Also known as the linear or trim technique, removes or trims the outer, most protruding edge of the labia. This technique targets the darker-colored portion of the tissue, resulting in a more even-toned labia appearance.
Labiaplasty at McLean Plastic Surgery is a fully-customized procedure designed specifically for you. The surgery may be performed alone or in conjunction with other rejuvenating procedures like breast augmentation, abdominoplasty, or as part of a mommy makeover. If changes to your labia are causing you to experience embarrassment, discomfort or pain, it might be time to learn more about what labiaplasty surgery can do for you.
Labiaplasty has Become More Popular
For most women, having an open discussion with their doctor about skin laxity in their labial area can feel embarrassing or uncomfortable. Rest assured, if you are struggling with these concerns, you most certainly are not alone. Labiaplasty procedures have increased in popularity in recent years, and an increasing number of women are seeking treatment not only for aesthetic concerns but also for functional and/or psychological reasons. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), labiaplasty procedures increased 36% from 2020-2021.Patients are usually very pleased with both the aesthetic and functional enhancements provided by their procedure. According to several studies, labiaplasty has a very high patient satisfaction rate of over 90 percent due to the relief women find from any discomfort.
Contact McLean Plastic Surgery to Discuss Your Labiaplasty
Labiaplasty is a very personal decision. Feel free to start a conversation regarding your labiaplasty with our skilled and compassionate plastic surgeon Dr. Anderson at McLean Plastic Surgery. Please call 703-893-1111 or complete the form on this page to schedule a consultation. We serve McLean, Tysons Corner and nearby Fairfax County, Northern Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C.