The majority of women who have had breast augmentation are satisfied with their results. Breast implant revision surgery involves removal with or without replacement of saline or silicone breast implants. Women consider revision breast implant surgery if they have had a complication from a prior breast augmentation surgery, their body has changed with pregnancy and weight fluctuations, or their goals and lifestyle have changed.
You may be an excellent candidate for breast implant revision or breast implant removal. Dr. Duda and Dr. Anderson are experienced in breast implant replacement and breast implant removal, and will discuss your goals and expectations, and recommend the best procedure to provide you with the best result. If you are considering breast implant revision or removal, contact McLean Plastic Surgery today at 703-893-1111 to schedule a consultation. We proudly assist women from McLean, Tysons Corner and nearby Fairfax County, Northern Virginia, Maryland and Washington D.C.
Benefits of a Breast Implant Revision or Removal Surgery
Breast augmentation is a very popular procedure and the majority of women have been satisfied with their decision and new look. Time, aging, and gravity, factors that we have no control over, change our bodies and appearance. In different stages of life, women may change how they feel about themselves and their appearance, and may decide to change their breast size and shape.
Many factors are involved in the decision for undergoing breast implant revision surgery. We are here to provide you with the information to assist you in this decision making process.
Benefits associated with breast implant revision surgery are:
- Improved asymmetry and overall appearance of breasts with change in implant type, position and/or size of your breast implants.
- Replacement of ruptured silicone gel or deflated saline breast implants.
- Enhancement of breasts that have changed after pregnancy, weight changes, gravity, or loss of skin elasticity.
- Improvement in discomfort caused by scar tissue around the implants (capsular contracture).
- Improved appearance and self-confidence.
Am I a Good Breast Implant Revision or Removal Candidate?
You may be a good candidate for breast implant revision if are unhappy with your appearance after a prior breast augmentation. Good candidates for breast implant revision surgery are in good health, are non-smokers and have:
- Deflated (saline) or ruptured (silicone gel) breast implants
- Desire to change implant type, size or profile, or remove implants
- Desire to change the position of the implants
- Tight scar tissue around the implant causing discomfort (capsular contracture)
- Breast implants have shifted in position, have “bottom out”, or “Double bubble”
- Have synmastia (uni-boob) from a previous augmentation
- Have breast tissue that has changed with aging, pregnancy or weight changes
- Had an MRI reveal a ruptured silicone gel implant
- Realistic expectations
Your Breast Implant Revision Procedure
Breast implant revision surgery at McLean Plastic Surgery are fully-customized procedures designed specifically for you. The procedure chosen is dependant on the extent of the revision and choice of new implant. While every breast revision procedure is unique, the procedure usually includes the following elements:
- Removal with or without replacement of breast implants
- Correct malposition or “bottom out”. This may be the result of capsular contracture, trauma, or just the aging process. The breasts may be too far apart, too close, too high or too low.
- Capsulectomy to treat capsular contracture. Some patients develop excess scar tissue around one or both implants, sometimes causing the breasts to appear misshapen, firm to the touch, or painful. The capsule is surgically removed.
- Improvement rippling or visibility of the implant
- Correct synmastia-breast implant pockets merge in middle of chest
Surgical procedures usually fall into 4 categories:
- Breast implant removal without replacement
- For those women who just no longer want their implants and want to return to a similar size before surgery, with weight gain implants sometimes are no longer needed for volume, or they develop other health concerns and desire removal
- Breast implant removal with replacement
- For those women who choose to change the size, either larger or smaller, or those who have developed a complication such as rupture/deflation, capsular contracture or malposition
- Breast implant removal with breast lift
- When large implants are removed, the skin may be stretched and remaining breast tissue without shape. A breast lift can be performed to restore a more natural appearing breast
- Breast implant removal with replacement and breast lift
- For those women who chose to have smaller implants replaced and the skin reduced
- Complex Breast Implant Revision
- Certain patients will have complex challenges such as “bottom out”, “double bubble” or synmastia. A synthetic mesh support (GalaFlex) may be required if your breast skin is thin and stretched, you have minimal breast tissue, and need additional soft tissue support to help prevent “bottom out”. “Double bubble” occurs when the breast implant falls below the inframammary fold and creates a second bulge beneath the breast pocket.
Decision making for revision surgery can be complex. You may be uncertain if you just want implant removal, or replacement with a smaller size, or are thinking about a breast lift but concerned about the scars. If you have saline breast implants, the implants can be deflated in the office with local anesthesia. This will give you an opportunity to see how you will look, if you like the new smaller look, or want to restore same size or smaller volume implants, and also help you with the decision for a breast lift.
We are here to assist you with the decision making process, and to provide the best treatment plan to restore natural appearing breasts
Contact McLean Plastic Surgery to Discuss Your Breast Implant Revision or Removal
At McLean Plastic Surgery, our skilled and compassionate plastic surgeons understand that each patient is unique with specific goals, and the importance of achieving beautiful, natural-looking results. To discuss your breast implant revision or breast implant removal surgery with Dr. Duda or Dr. Anderson, please call 703-893-1111 or complete the form on this page to schedule a consultation. We serve McLean, Tysons Corner and nearby Fairfax County, Northern Virginia, Maryland and Washington D.C.